MGBGT Tartan Red
Our MGB GT represents the original sports car that superseded the MGA in 1962. Built by BMC, which later became British Leyland, the standard MGB was assembled at Abingdon in Oxfordshire as a four-cylinder, soft top roadster from 1962 to 1980. Variants included the MGB GT, the subject of our new 1:76 scale model, which was a three-door, 2 + 2 coupé with fixed roof which came off the production line between 1965 and 1980. Designed by Pininfarina, the car sported a new hatchback style with sloping rear window and much more luggage space. Despite the car’s slightly increased weight over the standard MGB resulting in slower acceleration, the 1798 cc engine gave the MGB GT a top speed of 105 mph. Other refinements included different suspension springs, anti-roll bars and a revised windscreen.
Our first release comes decorated in the signature bright red of the MGB GT, registered MKW 564G from 1968-9 and features the distinctive MG badge above the chrome radiator and the MGB GT logo across the boot. A wealth of exterior chrome extends to the superb wire wheels, chrome bumpers, window surrounds and a chrome strip running the length of the both sides. The interior is black in sharp contrast to the shining red coachwork.